Grade 2-3 League
Our Grade 2-3 league is designed for the unique development needs of children 7-9 years of age. Like all of our leagues It is a very positive, skill-based, and inclusive program for boys and girls. We introduce more of the 'formal, rules based' world of soccer in the SoccerGenius development model that we follow.
Young players at this age are improving the body movement abilities across a wide range of sporting environments. Their brains are still growing quickly, with the important ability to make more clear 'in-game' decisions! This is the age when the played game starts to look like a real soccer game. You'll start to see players understanding triangle based movement and early signs of correct positioning for when to defend and to go for goal.
Children of this age are still a LONG way off from understanding the very complex rules and movements of adult soccer - so it's super important to keep the focus on skill development, enjoyment, simple rules, and positive praise from coaches and parents. Players at this age are still very 'ball-centric' - they really want the ball because it's fun to play with. They also love the fun of fair competition that is designed for their age (what experts call 'age and developmentally appropriate' competition).
For this age group it's all about FUN, skill development, and friendly competition to challenge themselves using their new skills!
Skills We Focus On
* Increased Agility, Coordination, Balance, 'Soccer Rhythm' and Whole Body Movements
* Various speeds of running with the ball (dribbling) using both feet
* L-Swing and Instep Kicking and passing with both feet and throwing with both hands
* All Five of the Level One SoccerGenius "foundation" moves
* First three of the Level One SoccerGenius "foundation" dribbles
* Intro to juggling skills including one bounce and rhythm
* Basic 'soccer geometry' of the 'give and go' triangle and 'zig zag' lightning passing
* Simple Rules of Play - including out of bounds and game restarts, basic fouls, intro to goal kicks and corners
* Social Skills of listening, following instructions, taking turns, praising/celebrating others
* Executive functioning skills of self-regulation and mental flexility
* Fair Play Skills of non-aggressive play, honesty, no trash talk, respect for opponents, and helping coaches/teammates
* Body awareness skills related to water breaks, stopping when injured, and rest breaks
Practice and Games
This age group has one 60 minute practice and one 60 minute game (with warmup) per week.
Game Format and Team Size
Three versus Three
Six players per team
* Our goal is to ensure each player receives maximum touches and time with the ball in the game. There are lots of goals for all players and lots of opportunities for each player to enjoy success. The 3 v 3 format means that players immediately practice their skills and triangle based movements that bring joy and success in soccer. This format has been proven to accelerate player development at all ages - in fact, three vs three is a favourite game of soccer players all around the world. It is fast passed, gives lots of touches, and reinforces almost all soccer related skills.