Grade 4-5 League
Our Grade 4-5 league is designed for the unique development needs of children 9-11 years of age. Like all of our leagues It is a very positive, skill-based, and inclusive program for boys and girls.
This league is based on the introduction of FIFA Futsal in the SoccerGenius development model that we follow. This is an amazing international soccer game format that provides all players with a fun, fast-paced, and skill focussed game experience.
Young players at this age are capable of acquiring highly refined skills with their near adult sized brain. This is a period of steady growth and increasing ability to understand rules, tactics and strategy. FIFA Futsal is the perfect game for this age group to learn because it provides most all of the features of adult 11 v 11 soccer, without the boredom of waiting for your turn to have the ball.
As the players learn and grow during this league you'll begin to notice the finer aspects of soccer passing, shooting, dribbling, decision-making, and movement coming into the fore. The game really starts to look like and feel like team-based soccer. Children of this age are still a LONG way off from understanding the very complex rules and movements of adult soccer - so it's super important to keep the focus on skill development, inclusive small-sided games, modified age-appropriate rules, and positive praise from coaches and parents.
There is little need to focus on game results (the players do it for themselves anyways :) or league standings. Players at this age are becoming less 'ball-centric' - they are ready and willing to share and pass with teammates, make runs to get open, and to 'help' on offence and defence. They LOVE the challenges in the SG Cup and are eager to help out 'housemates' in the younger age groups.
For this age group it's all about keeping the focus on FUN, enhanced skill development, and friendly competition to challenge themselves using their new skills, knowledge, and decision-making abilities!
Skills We Focus On
* A Wide Range of Movement and Physical Skills: Fitness, Speed, Reaction, Agility, Coordination, Balance, and 'Soccer Rhythm'
* Various speeds of running with the ball (dribbling) using both feet
* L-Swing, Instep, and Laces Kicking and passing with both feet
* Throw-ins and goalie rolls and throws
* Juggling skills including rhythm and bounce
* All Level One and 3 of the Level Two SoccerGenius 1v1 moves
* First Six of the Level One and Two SoccerGenius dribbles
* Enhanced 'soccer geometry' including overlaps, takeovers, diamonds and triangles
* Intro to FIFA Futsal Rules - with modifications for goalie, goalkicks, and substitutions
* Introduction to goalkeeping - included for all players (not mandatory but encouraged
* Social Skills of active listening, participating in instructions/demonstrations, leadership, and praising/celebrating others
* Executive functioning skills of self-regulation and mental flexibility
* Fair Play Skills of non-aggression and non-violence, honesty, no trash talk, respect for opponents, and helping coaches/teammates
* Body awareness skills related to fatigue, flexibility, hydration, injury and rest
Practice and Games
This age group has one 80 minute practice and one 80 minute game (with warmup) per week.
Game Format and Team Size
8-10 players per team
* Our goal is to ensure each player receives maximum touches and time with the ball in the game. FIFA Futsal offers up to 400% more quality touches than other forms for soccer. There are lots of goals for all players and lots of opportunities for each player to enjoy success. Our positive coaches encourage players to use the skills from practices. This format is the internationally recognized game of 5-a-side soccer. It is fast passed, gives lots of touches, and reinforces almost all soccer related skills.